Friday, October 31, 2008

Etsy prettiness and Mixtape zine

I want to share with you some pretties that came for me in the mail recently. First up is this framed Book of Wisdom print by Etsy seller littlestflower.


It's pretty much the cutest thing ever. It fits in with Tim and my personalities perfectly. It was very affordable despite the lagging Aussie dollar, plus it's printed on a old book page (yay for reusing) PLUS the seller is Australian (yay for shopping locally).


She also included this gorgeous tree print in green and gold. I'm still excited and so so pleased. I love everything in her shop so I'll definitely be back, maybe for some Christmas shopping.

Before that came the new issue of Mixtape, a "craft zine about making time for the small things".
As a subscriber I got a piece of cute fabric, thread and a button with it.


The Melbourne-made zine focuses on green living and crafting for business and pleasure. There's also a parenting issue coming up in December. In other words, it's right up my alley. There's always nuggets of inspiration and advice in there. I'm thinking of submitting an article at some point.

For those of you new to the term 'zine', it's a homemade publication. There are big ones and small ones, made by one person or many people. They can contain illustrations or articles or advice or wit or all of the above. And there's probably one about everything you can think of. The best thing about them is that they're not generally made just for profit, they're made for love, with love. Content doesn't need 'official' approval, so the makers have creative freedom.

In Melbourne, there's a not-for-profit shop called Sticky Institute that's dedicated to zines. I haven't had a chance to go yet, but when I do you'll be hearing all about it. I imagine it would be a bad idea to try to lug a pram and a baby down the subway stairs, so I have to wait until I'm in the area Ellie-free or with someone to watch her for a while. The shop is in the Degraves Subway, just a tiny walk from Flinders Street Station. If you're in the area, check it out and share your thoughts.

2 comments:

62cherry said...

we would love you to write for us!
justine (mixtapezine)

Hayley Sarah said...

Aw, yay! Now I just have to think of a topic..