Monday, March 2, 2009

Preparing for the fashion show

I am not ideal at organising my time. I had my outfits made well before the fashion show, and I assumed I wouldn't have to do much else. Then I learned that we could set up a rack of our clothing for sale after the show. I knew that meant more work, but I didn't prepare quite far enough in advance. I have yet to do my first market, so I'm not wise to the ways of face-to-face handmade selling.

This is what went on during the day before the show:

I decided to set myself the deadline of debuting these brooches at the show, and made way more than I needed.

My hands were aching from squeezing the glue bottle so often (Ecoglue!) hard enough for the glue to come out. If anyone knows about replacing glue nozzles or a way of not savaging my hands with bulk crafting I would love you forever if you'd share. The badges will be up online soon and first dibs and a discount will go to those on my mailing list, so make sure you're signed up if you want 'em! (Enter your email address in the green box on the right of my blog.)

Back to fashion show stuff. I compiled and printed some flyers to hand out.

I used Ecocern unbleached post-consumer recycled paper. I love Ecocern! They're Australian and have a good range of 100% post-consumer recycled paper products. I do wish they sold post packaging though. I used both sides of the paper and cut them in half to A5 size to save on paper.

After finalising outfits and testing the fit on my manniquin against the model's sizes, I was ready to pack it in for the day. Then I realised that my clothing for sale still needed to be tagged and priced. And then I realised that I was pretty much out of hang tags. I make my hangtags with my printer, discarded index cards, applique paper and reclaimed fabric (in this case, a thrifted nightgown. I know, weird fabric for a nightgown, right?)

The next hour was spent battling with the printer because the back and front of the tags didn't match up, only to find that I was placing the card in the wrong way for the back printing. By then I'd wasted a good couple of dozen cards. I was not a happy camper. But I got them done.

For my little stall, I makeshifted a shelf for my badges with a hat, a hanger and two clips. And I used a frame from the house for a drawing of my logo to hang up with a thrifted jersey tie.

All was right with the world.


Penny said...

I love the tags! So cool!

Chrisy said...

It's going well and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the story!

nikkishell said...

Your tags an flyers look great! I love the badges all laid out in rows.

Your dress arrived today, it's fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

The flyer looks great! and I love your tags. Its great reading your experiences...I have my first market stall in 2 weeks and have not even started thinking about how i am going to set it up. I imagine my night before will be as rushed as yours. Cheers, Tricia

Carolyn said...

Hello there! My name is Carolyn. I've been reading your blog for a while and hope to open my own Etsy shop soon! I went to Ecocern today! Hehe..i got some paper and cardboard, gonna make some paper goods. I'm so happy to discover someone else thinks they're great too! =D

Love your designs by the way. Hopefully will make enough quid soon to buy that tank top with the one red strap..