Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Splurge

Ahh, I just splurged on this top and will henceforth blame it on being an early birthday present (my birthday is two months away).


I'm starting to wonder if signing up to her mailing list was such a good idea after all.

I'm aware of the fact that this is not, as far as I can tell, made using eco-friendly or recycled fabrics. But I guess the most important thing to me with fashion is that I'm not rewarding (paying) a company to keep exploiting garment workers. This hoodie does not. I think that ethical fashion is about having the knowledge to choose what issues important for you, and then reducing what you buy to select pieces that you will treasure and adore for a long time to come.

I'm quite unhappy with the extent of my wardrobe at the moment (although that may have something to do with the washing that's been piling up since before the fashion show). I guess everybody goes through that stage once in a while, where our wardrobe just feels old and a rejuvination is desired. I'll be reconstructing my own things when I have spare time, and largely keep my clothing to second-hand or self-made. This 'spare time' does not seem promising, as I just started back at uni, but we'll see how I go.

If you're interested in peeking at others' refashioned clothing, check out this inventive blog: Wardrobe Refashion.
"Participants of the blog pledge to abstain from the purchase of new manufactured clothing for the period of 2, 4, 6 months or LIFE. They pledge to refashion, renovate, and recycle preloved items with their own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium or make their own from scratch."
I really appreciate the values behind this idea. Huge props to Nichola for creating and maintaining this.

Also! I was interviewed in depth over at the modernemotive blog. I think that this is my favourite interview so far, the questions were fun to answer and the post ended up so pretty!

5 comments:

JoolzGirl said...

Great to meet you on Sat and this is a great blog! Find out such great stuff! xo

Emy Augustus said...

the colors in it are so pretty. ooh lemme check out that interview....

Chrisy said...

Yes I often check in on the refashion mag to see what magic has been had with scissors thread and original garment...that top looks good...the angular shapes suit you...know what you mean about wardrobes...they can be full but seemingly overnight hold nothing that we want to wear...

R. said...

That is a great interview!

--xo.

Candice DeVille said...

The colours in this are so vibrant I can see why you couldn't resist. Can't wait to see it on.

Also, you can now find me at www.superkawaiimama.com. If you could update any links it would be much appreciated.