Saturday, November 29, 2008

Consumption Rebellion

Yesterday I stumbled across the Facebook blog network. I made a profile on it for Heidi and Seek and Ethical Fashion which you can join here if you're a fellow Facebooker.

Through the network I came across a fantastic blog called Consumption Rebellion. It's written by a mother of two and is about her experiences in ethical purchasing and awareness.


It's full of practical ideas about ethical living. Her latest post included a fascinating Youtube video, 'The Good Consumer', which you can view below.



The irony is so well done. It reminds me of 1984 by George Orwell. Except it's not narrating the distant future, it's about now. I find that incredibly creepy. It gives me a sad picture of the world.

However, I do think that the situation is not quite as bleak as the video suggests. It talked about how outcasted people are who don't follow fashion trends. In the cities of Melbourne and Sydney, at least, this isn't always the case. I know it must be more difficult in rural areas to feel able to stand out. I don't know if that will change but I do know that people can make individual choices.

You can choose to follow the crowd or you can choose to be original and stand up for your beliefs. I think that anyone who dresses well in current fashion can translate that good taste to ethical fashion.

The video was posted by Make Wealth History, a great site for learning about some of the issues surrounding ethical consumerism.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. There are certainly many issues with consumption at it's current levels and everyone needs to rethink they way they spend their money. If you find any more information on ethical fashion (which is hard to come by) let us know, we'd be interested to see what you find.

For the record, the video wasn't made by us (Make Wealth History) we just found it and embedded it in our post.

Hayley Bash said...

What a great video. Really makes you think. Whenever I go to buy something new I'm going to think of his spooky voice taunting me for being a consumer! lol.

Hayley Sarah said...

makewealthhistory - Thanks for your comment. I edited the post to reflect that it wasn't made by you guys, my mistake. I'll be posting ethical fashion info that I come across on this blog.

Hayley - I know what you mean! I think it's a great thing that it sticks in people's heads though.