Saturday, November 8, 2008

Why buy handmade?


Buy Handmade Video from Etsy on Vimeo.

There's a handmade revolution going on. Check out buyhandmade.org to find out why and to make a pledge to buy handmade for the holidays.

I buy handmade because:
  • I'd much rather support the creative minds of individuals rather than making large companies richer
  • I can find great recycled or upcycled items, which is much better for the environment
  • I can find truly unique and beautiful goods for myself and for family and friends
  • Handmade gifts are more meaningful and special
  • I trust handmade sellers more than I do big business
  • I can contact the maker directly and have things custom made
  • There's something for every style or mood
Check out my Etsy favourites for some gorgeous gift inspiration for the holiday season. Or, since it can be a bit more expensive to shop USD, here are some Australian online handmade stockists:

Madeit (AU)
Georgie Love (AU)
Leeloo (AU)

And if you'd rather buy in person, this thread on the Talk Made It forum lists where you can find shops that stock handmade all over Australia.

Happy holiday shopping!

1 comment:

Penny said...

So good. Yay for handmade! Such good reasons.